K9 Scent Work
What to Expect:
- Classes are 1 hour long and meet for 6 weeks
- Classes are limited to 6 dog/handler teams
- Dogs will be worked individually during the class
- When not working, dogs must be crated or contained in a properly ventilated vehicle (weather permitting)
- Classes are a “No Obedience” Zone!
- Great for shy, fearful and reactive dogs.
- Builds your dog’s confidence
- Burns off physical energy for those dogs with high energy, and mental energy for those dogs that need something to do.
The Goal of These Classes:
- During a series of sessions, your dog will be taught to search for 3 target odors- birch, anise and clove
- Your dog will learn to search for these odors in 4 different search "elements": container searches, interior room searches, exterior area searches and vehicle searches (exterior of the vehicles only- not inside).
- How far you go with our classes is up to you- many of my students continue to get the training to compete in trials, but many just come because they and their dogs have so much fun in class.
What you’ll need to bring for class:
- Flat collar/Harness. No pinch or choke collars.
- 6’ Leash: Also bring a 20’ plus long line. No retractible leashes.
- Treats: HIGH VALUE treats and toys! Bring LOTS of soft treats cut into small pieces. We recommend roasted chicken, hot dogs, liverwurst or cubed cheese. The stronger the odor the better.
- Please DO NOT bring hard crunchy treats.